Bengaluru is known as the Silicon Valley of India, and rightly so. Not only is the place famous for its population high on the technical quotient, it it also the home of many important IT and other technical companies of India. Here are some of them –
- Indian Space Research Organization – What can be a better status symbol than to have the headquarters of India’s space programme? While the ISRO has facilities all over the country, many major ones, such as Satellite Centre, Electro-Optics Systems, and Deep Space Network are all located in Bengaluru. The stunning success of the Organization has put in on the forefront of technological and space news in the recent years, and like all its rockets, the future of the ISRO seems to be following an upward trajectory.
- Infosys – The game changer of the IT and consulting industry of India is also located in Bengaluru, just like its founder and owner Narayan Murthy. It was the second largest IT-frim in India with respect to revenues, the company’s name has extended to corporate universities, academics, a charity foundation and prizes for contributing scientists and social engineers. Like Tata and Birla, the company has firmly cemented its place in the corporate history of India.
- Wipro – The name Western India Palm Refined Oils surely does not bring into mind sophisticated computers or software coding to mind. Indeed, Wipro started off as a producer of vegetable and refined oils. But this meant that when the IT revolution came, Wipro already had capital and infrastructure. Riding the wave, it emerged as one of the premier IT companies of India and Asia. It continues to expand in both consumer and IT industries, and been widely recognized for its sustainability.
- Quickr – The days of personal advertising in newspapers is gone, and no one caught up to it faster than the online platform, Quikr. It provides for an ‘internet market’ where individuals can sell and buy second hand goods. The ability of the potential business partners to connect with each other is a highlight. This Indian version of Craigslist has now moved to expand into the real estate business.
- Sonata Software – Founded as an IT division of Indian Organic Chemicals, the company went independent in 1994. It provides business intelligence and analytics, application development management, mobility, cloud, social media, testing, enterprise services and infrastructure management services. It also boasts of a large employee base and a global reach, it was listed by Microsoft as its ‘Cloud Partner of the Year’ for India in 2016.
All of these companies make the city of Bengaluru feel like a giant supercomputer with wires and invisible radio signals heralding a new technological age of the country and the world. But these companies are so much more than the brand logo. These are the blood and sweat of hardworking technicians who doubled up as investors and businessmen. And these companies are built on the expertise of hardworking people, many of whom call Bengaluru their home.